CLUB SODA MINDFUL DRINKING FESTIVAL
Thursday 30th July – Sunday 2nd August
Live on Facebook and YouTube
Originating in the UK, Club Soda’s eighth Mindful Drinking Festival will move online as COVID-19 continues to affect real-world events. This year, it will be made FREE for all Australians to attend, and will be supported by Lyre’s Non-Alcoholic Spirits, Binary Botanicals, Big Drop Brewing, Lindeman’s wines, Champs Consulting, The Scottish Alcohol Partnership, and WiseBartender.
With alarming statistics highlighted below in the 2019 FARE Annual Alcohol Poll, there is no better time to be addressing these subjects.
- About half (47%) of Australian drinkers consume alcohol with the intention of getting drunk. This equates to almost six million people in the general population.
- 78% of Australian drinkers who consume alcohol to get drunk consider themselves a ‘responsible drinker’.
- 79% of Australian drinkers who consume six to ten standard drinks on a ‘typical occasion’, and 68% of Australian drinkers who consume 11 or more standard drinks on a ‘typical occasion’, consider themselves a ‘responsible drinker’.
- Two thirds (66%) of people believe that Australia has a problem with excess drinking or alcohol abuse.
These figures have no doubt been exacerbated with reports of increased lockdown drinking. Conversely, in response to this, there has been a growing movement and an uptick in interest in drinking in moderation or going alcohol-free all together across the world. This festival brings some welcome advice and support into everyone’s homes.
Key virtual sessions include:
- Inspirational talks and panels on the Champs Motivation Stage by influencers and experts on changing drinking habits and living healthier lifestyles. Close to 80 themed sessions globally have been confirmed.
- Over 60 low and no alcohol drinks sessions with virtual ‘meet the makers’, so people can meet the pioneers behind the brands.
- Cocktail masterclasses, beer tastings and drinks talks with the world’s top experts.
This four-day virtual event will give anyone looking for the inspiration to change their drinking habits access to some of the world’s leading experts in mindful drinking and open them up to the growing market of low and no alcohol drinks, including craft beers, wines, spirits, lower-sugar sodas, tonics and infusions.
Our world-class selection of speakers includes Spencer Matthews, TV star and founder of low alcohol brand CleanSpirit; the author of Sober Curious, Ruby Warrington; Quit Like a Woman author Holly Whittaker; singer and songwriter Lucy Spraggan; Shanna Whan, CEO and founder of National Charity – Sober in the Country, Andy Moore, CEO of Hello Sunday Morning, Jill Stark, author of High Sobriety, and many more.
The global sessions which cover all topics related to moderation and quitting, including sober socialising, dating, exploring creativity and the use of journaling as well as inspirational interviews with journalists, authors and key Instagram influencers.
Club Soda is a global Mindful Drinking Movement. Their first book ‘How to Be a Mindful Drinker’ was released by DK Books in 2019. They provide a multifaceted approach with their three main strands; supporting individuals to rethink their drinking habits, building an online drinks and venues guide which features the best pubs and bars for mindful drinkers (clubsodaguide.com) and curating the best alcohol-free drinks to be showcased at the Mindful Drinking Festivals.
The health and wellness trend is also driving this growth across the world with the US market seeing an increase in low calorie and low alcohol products as customers seek to improve their lifestyle. 1
In Australia, research has found that 66% of 21-34-year-old alcohol drinkers in Australia are making an effort to reduce their overall alcohol intake with one of the primary reasons for cutting back being a desire to be more health-conscious.2
The Mindful Drinking Festival kicks off at 6pm on Thursday 30th July; and you can register today at www.mindfuldrinkingfestival.com.. If you want to have a taste of some of the incredible brands on offer, you can head to www.craftzeroau before the event to buy your personal favourites.
Sarah Connelly (@sober_sommelier) who has developed the Australian programme for the festival said: “The Mindful drinking movement is taking off here in Australia with a growing number of Australians becoming more conscious of their lifestyle choices and health in general. Social sober groups are popping up Nationwide and major brands are expanding their alcohol-free ranges. As demand increases, we’re seeing more innovation from start-up companies who are leading home-grown with boutique low to no alternatives. It’s the perfect time for Australia to connect with the global movement started by Club Soda.”
The Club Soda Mindful Drinking Festival is supported in Australia by Monday Distillery, SeaDrift, Etch Sparkling, Altina Craft Cocktails, Edenvale Wines and Lyres